Friday, December 19, 2014

Immanuel, especially now

It has seemed to me that lots of things have been happening to people I know, friends and family, that would likely be viewed as tragedies. A child with a chromosomal defect. Kids with serious illnesses. Friends with cancer. The death of loved ones.

I'm a Christian. These things are tragedies to me as well. But there is a difference: These things are not eternal. I and many of my friends and family are owned by Another, one who cares. One who will be with us through these trials; One who left and sent a Comforter; One who will return.

This time of year much of the world, whether it cares or not, thinks at least tangentially about his birth: Jesus of Nazareth, called the Messiah, the Christ, but most importantly for me now, Immanuel: God with us.

I count on that. "God with us" is with us still. The One who cares, cares still and joins us in our sorrows. He listens. He knows. He sends comfort and strength, and through his body on earth, the church, he sends local, corporeal comfort and strength.

The problems of today are not eternal, and we know the end of the story: He and his sheep win, forever. Getting through the problems is easier knowing "God with us" is with us indeed.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Ps. 46:1

No comments:

Post a Comment